Thursday, October 9, 2014

Relationships: Parents

I have a strong relationship with my parents, even stronger still with my mom. I talk to her day in and day out about my feelings, concerns, and trivial stuff. When I talk to my friends, they are often surprised to hear about my relationship, as though it was abnormal, or ridiculous to be able to talk to my parents about everything. So, I have decided to compile a short list of ways to maintain/regain your relationship with your parents. 


1. Truth. 
All relationships are built on Trust, without that you have nothing. Think about it this way. Imagine a large bridge and it is built out of bricks (Trust) when you lie or mislead it destroys the bridge completely. It is like a bomb detonating, everything is turned to rubble. The problem is that you cannot use new materials, you have to use the same materials over, and over, and over again. The more someone breaks your trust, the weaker the bridge will forever be. 

2. Talk 
I talk for hours with my mom and am never satisfied. You may say that your parents do not have enough time, or love you enough to take that time. To be honest, there are a few parents out there, but this is where you need to try. Sit one of your parents down and just tell them what you want to talk to them about. Tell them that you need them to be there for you, and that you need them to listen. That leads me to the next point. 

3. Listen. 
I know, I know. Your parents are 30-40 years old and they just do not understand, but there is no point in talking to your parents if you are not willing to consider their advice. I learned that the hard way. 
I was good friends with a guy, and that was the time I did not have feelings, I was about to enter that stage, I was 9, and this boy was mean to me and then apologized and started being nice to me. I was at youth camp and my 2 friends (At the time I thought they were my best friends) were talking with me, and I ended up telling them about the guy and him being mean then apologizing then being nice to me. They asked me if I liked him, and I said yes (As a friend). Later that day he confronted me saying he did not want a relationship and that he just wanted to remain friends, I was confused, angry, and upset. My best friends had told him something that was not even true! It ended up that the guy and I did not talk again for four years. I barely talk to him now, but things are resolved. 

How does this have to do with my mom? Well, she had recently started talking to me about how girls acted at this age and how if I want to keep my relationships with guys (Specifically those I have crushes on) I should not hint, nor tell any girls about it. But I have learned that every single time I have ever told a girl about a guy I like, I have gotten hurt. 

I am also like most of you. I have broken my parents trust. I have done things I wish I had not and am currently paying the consequences. 

Anyways, I hope this helps. Comment or email me with your thoughts! I might do a question and answer blog post soon, so email me those questions you want to feature in it!
-Sapphire


No comments:

Post a Comment